- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into the egg mixture. Heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice in half horizontally. Combine strawberries and remaining sugar. Spoon strawberries between cake layers and over the top of each serving. Top with whipped cream; garnish with mint leaves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Strawberry Shortcake
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious"
"This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain."
"This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome...."
"This is excellent. My husband loves it."
"reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for."