Mom's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into the egg mixture. Heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- 2. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice in half horizontally. Combine strawberries and remaining sugar. Spoon strawberries between cake layers and over the top of each serving. Top with whipped cream; garnish with mint leaves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 236 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.