Mom's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in.-square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- 2. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 236 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 145 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.