- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in.-square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves. Yield: 9 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Strawberry Shortcake
"I have been making this recipe since it came out in 1996! 20 years ofthe best strawberry shortcake ever!"
"This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious"
"This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain."
"This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome...."
"This is excellent. My husband loves it."
"reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for."
"I doubled the recipe for a family party, it worked great in a 9x13 pan baked for 32 minutes. Delicious!"
"Delicious! I love that this only makes a small pan...great for my husband and I."
"This is probably one of the best shortcakes I have. I did have problems getting it out of the pan even though I thoroughly greased it. It just wouldn't drop out. I had to carefully dig it out. Next time I'll try greasing and flouring. It's not a super sweet cake so if you're looking for something light, it's great. If you want something sweeter, you might try adding a little more sugar or perhaps letting your sugared strawberry juice soak through the cake."
"WOW! This cake is so good it's a shame to cover it up with strawberries! Makes a sweet, crunchy top. YUMMMMMMY!"