Mom's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; beat into the egg mixture. Heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice in half horizontally. Combine strawberries and remaining sugar. Spoon strawberries between cake layers and over the top of each serving. Top with whipped cream; garnish with mint leaves if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Strawberry Shortcake(12)
Sort By :
This is excellent. My husband loves it.
reminds me of my grandmother's lost recipe. exactly what i was looking for.
I doubled the recipe for a family party, it worked great in a 9x13 pan baked for 32 minutes. Delicious!
Delicious! I love that this only makes a small pan...great for my husband and I.
This is probably one of the best shortcakes I have. I did have problems getting it out of the pan even though I thoroughly greased it. It just wouldn't drop out. I had to carefully dig it out. Next time I'll try greasing and flouring. It's not a super sweet cake so if you're looking for something light, it's great. If you want something sweeter, you might try adding a little more sugar or perhaps letting your sugared strawberry juice soak through the cake.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Shortcake Recipes >
- Strawberry Cake >
- Strawberry Cake Recipe >