Mom's Special Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 6 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 10 large)
- 5 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Pepper to taste, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk the eggs, sugar, vinegar, cream, butter, mustard and salt until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Fold in mayonnaise. Chill until preparing salad.
- For salad, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery and onion. Add dressing and pepper if desired; stir until blended. Chill until serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Mom's Special Potato Salad
Sort By :
This recipe reminds me of my grandma's. It was a bit sweet, so next time I would halve the sugar. I did add hard boiled eggs and used prepared mustard instead of ground. Over all a good old fashioned potato salad recipe.
This took a little more time to make than my usual potato salad since you "cooked" the dressing, but the flavor was so good. Love it!
My favorite potato salad ever and so easy to make.
I made this recipe Sunday & it was an extreme hit. It's not difficult, I did add hard boiled eggs. It's very good, different than any potato salad I have ever tried. Very creamy!! A must try!!!
This is the best potato salad I have ever had in my 79 years! Love, it.