A rich and creamy homemade dressing is the perfect base for the potatoes, celery and onion...and any other ingredients you might want to add to this traditional salad. It's always a hit. —Danielle Brandt, Ruthton, Minnesota
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 6 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 10 large)
- 5 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Pepper to taste, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk the eggs, sugar, vinegar, cream, butter, mustard and salt until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Fold in mayonnaise. Chill until preparing salad.
- For salad, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, celery and onion. Add dressing and pepper if desired; stir until blended. Chill until serving. Yield: 18 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Mom's Special Potato Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p65
Reviews for Mom's Special Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review