Mom's Special Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1. Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the onion, celery, bouillon, parsley sprigs, garlic and salt if desired. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- 2. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Remove chicken from bones; cut into cubes; set aside. Discard bones. Add carrots to broth and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and chopped parsley to broth; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
One cup (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and without salt) equals 184 calories, 41 mg sodium, 44 mg cholesterol, 13 g carbohydrate, 15 g protein, 7 g fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.