- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 8 to 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, ketchup, sugars, salt, oregano, chili powder and mustard. Stir in the beef mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
- Serve immediately with spaghetti, or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen spaghetti sauce: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan; heat through, stirring occasionally. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Mom's Spaghetti Sauce
"I added shredded carrots and diced squash. Yum!"
"excellent....made no changes. My husband said it was the best sauce I had made....and it's easy."
"I already did all of what this recipe called for, except the mustard, ketchup and chili powder. I felt like my recipe was always lacking until i added those! It is amazing. It adds just enough kick to be perfect and doesn't take from the spaghetti taste at all. I often subsitute and 8oz can of tomato sauce instead of ketchup and that works just fine. Every time I make this recipe my husband thinks it's new and makes sure to tell me to write it down. He is always surprised at how good it is! Definitely a keeper!"
"This is a really good sauce recipe and it has a somewhat different flavor than others I have tried."
"My kids are all grown and for several years now we have "International" Christmas dinner and everyone brings something that is traditional from that country. This year we're doing Italy because they all want me to make this recipe again. The only thing I change is substituting chopped zucchini for the celery. Great crock pot sauce!"
"Best ever!!!! I will make this every month!"
"This was not my favorite sauce. It is a very sweet spaghetti sauce. Although some may prefer sweet I like it spicy."
"EXCELLENT...EXCELLENT...EXCELLENTHad to leave out the oregano because it does not like me. Use fresh Cilantro instead. This is a wonderful sauce. Thank you for sharing it."