- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Optional toppings: colored or granulated sugar and walnut halves
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg. In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and eggs. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add sour cream and dissolved baking soda to creamed mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Working with one-third of the batch at a time, roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. (Cover and refrigerate remaining dough until ready to roll.) Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or other shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle tops with sugar and top with walnuts.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
the dough was gooey and sticky,never was able to roll out. worst cookie recipe i ever made
My husband said his Mom made delicious sugar cookies with sour cream - so I thought "aha!" = well, I'm so disappointed! They were nearly impossible to roll out, and SIX EGGS? Seriously? After baking, they are almost tasteless -- so I am hugely sorry that I still have a bowl of dough I won't use.
These cookies were ok. A hassle to roll out and cut into shapes. I made them because they were given a Taste of Home award. I can't imagine why. Won't make them again.