Mom's Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe
This delicious sugar cookie recipe has been passed down in our family for 75 years. Try it and you'll see why it remains our very favorite cookie! —Arnita Schroeder, Hoagland, Indiana
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Optional toppings: colored or granulated sugar and walnut halves
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg. In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and eggs. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add sour cream and dissolved baking soda to creamed mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Working with one-third of the batch at a time, roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. (Cover and refrigerate remaining dough until ready to roll.) Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or other shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle tops with sugar and top with walnuts.
- 3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Sugar Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC