Mom's Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Optional toppings: colored or granulated sugar and walnut halves
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and nutmeg. In another bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and eggs. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add sour cream and dissolved baking soda to creamed mixture. Gradually beat in flour mixture (dough will be sticky). Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Working with one-third of the batch at a time, roll dough on a well-floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. (Cover and refrigerate remaining dough until ready to roll.) Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round or other shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle tops with sugar and top with walnuts.
- 3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set but not browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Sugar Cookies
"Love the flavor! These cookies have a good old fashioned goodness."
"Unfortunately, this recipe was not successful for me. The dough was WAY too sticky that it was impossible to do anything with. We had to add a ton of flour to make it workable, and the taste did suffer a bit in the end. They are OK, but definitely not great :( If there are any tips on how to make this better, I'd love to hear though!"