Mom's Soft Raisin Cookies Recipe
With four sons in service during World War II, my mother sent these favorite cookies as a taste from home to "her boys" in different parts of the world. These days, my 11 grandchildren are enjoying them as we did, along with my stories of long ago.— Pearl Cochenour, Williamsport, Ohio
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. Combine water and raisins in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes; remove from the heat and let cool (do not drain).
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins.
- 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
2 cookies equals 170 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Raisin Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC