- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine water and raisins in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes; remove from the heat and let cool (do not drain).
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Raisin Cookies
"Love this cookie. Bless you Mom. So good"
"Planning to make these today....am amazed that so many reviewers don't read the instructions, though. The recipe plainly states "do not drain" the raisin mixture! C'mon, people, pay attention! Anyway, I do not plan to add nuts as I don't care for them in baked products. Sounds like 4 stars to me."
"These cookies are delicious. A Tastey and simple recipe. Thanks for sharing. I followed recipe exactly only changed one thing, more walnuts! Not sure how many because did not measure after measuring the 1/2 c for recipe."
"I chose to include the water with the raisins in the recipe.The flavor was good, but the texture was uneven and some parts were kind of mushy, and they had white spots in them. Maybe I packed the shortening too tight? Disappointed!"
"I was confused about whether to drain the raisins prior to mixing. I did end up draining them. I omitted the walnuts because my kids don't like nuts in their cookies. The end result was pretty bland. I don't know if it was because of my omissions, but I wasn't very happy with the result."
"I added the soaked raisins, the water to the very stiff batter. It softened up a little bit. These are very tasty! I didn't change a thing! thank you for posting this recipe!"
"Silly question, but do you add the soaking water along with the raisins? They look great"
"This recipe is the best ever!!! My mom use to make cookies like this. I am so happy to have the recipe! Thank you for sharing."
"I'm not a cookie fan but these are fantastic!"
"LOVE THESE COOKIES!!!!"