- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine water and raisins in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes; remove from the heat and let cool (do not drain).
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Soft Raisin Cookies
Sort By :
"I'm not a cookie fan but these are fantastic!"
"LOVE THESE COOKIES!!!!"
"Fantastic cookies! I've made a lot of cookies over the years, and these are at the top of my list of favorites."
"I made these again, and subbed 1 and 1/2 cups oatmeal for some of the flour. They were even better! This has replaced many other recipes for oatmeal raisin cookies in my kitchen...!"
"Love it! I ran out of nutmeg but they were still great. Super easy to make. thanks!"