Mom's Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 beef eye round roast (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add the coffee, 3/4 cup water and bouillon to the pan. Combine the basil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; sprinkle over the roast.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Combine the flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Roast Beef
Sort By :
"Great taste, but definitely cooked too long. I would shorten the cooking time by at least a half hour. Thank God the gravy was delicious because the roast needed it for moisture."
"excellent taste, used chuck roast, very tender and moist"
"very flavorful but I think i'm just not a fan of the eye of round cut. But it is economical so i will probably use it again."
"Very Good! When serving it to guests they asked for the recipe and wondered what the secret was! I put the sauce over my roast in the crock-pot rather than doing in on the stove top."
"I made it in a regular stock pan from my set and it worked well. I also added chopped potatoes and carrots and cooked with the roast, removing them before making gravy. It turned out well seasoned."