Everyone loves slices of this fork-tender roast beef and its savory gravy. This well-seasoned roast is Mom's specialty. People always ask what her secret ingredients are. Now you have the delicious recipe for our favorite meat dish! -Linda Gaido, New Brighton, Pennsylvania
- 1 beef eye round roast (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add the coffee, 3/4 cup water and bouillon to the pan. Combine the basil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; sprinkle over the roast.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Combine the flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Roast Beef in Taste of Home October/November 1994, p37
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Roast Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review