- 1 beef eye round roast (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add the coffee, 3/4 cup water and bouillon to the pan. Combine the basil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; sprinkle over the roast.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Combine the flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Roast Beef
"This is an excellent recipe. The meat was very tender, even with such an economical cut of beef. I made it in the crock pot as another reviewer suggested. I browned the meat and cooked the onion in a pan first, then slow-cooked for 7 hours. I also added vegetables to the bottom of the slow cooker - about four potatoes and four carrots, each cut into 1 inch pieces. Easy and delicious meal. I will make this part of our regular rotation."
"Meat was very tender, and this was easy to make, but we didn't care too much for the seasonings. Might try this again with the coffee and boullion, but with different seasonings."
"After browning on all sides I stuck this in the slow cooker with the saut?ed onions, the liquids, and the spices. Cooked on low for 8 hours. It was the best roast I have ever tasted!"
"Great taste, but definitely cooked too long. I would shorten the cooking time by at least a half hour. Thank God the gravy was delicious because the roast needed it for moisture."
"excellent taste, used chuck roast, very tender and moist"