Mom's Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk water and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. Roll out each portion between two pieces of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove one sheet of plastic wrap from one pastry; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining
- 3. plastic wrap. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the egg substitute, egg, sugars, salt and spices until blended. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crusts. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
1 piece: 245 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 282mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Pumpkin Pie
"2 of these ingredients- Shortening and Cool whip- are full of TRANSFAT so this would have to be modified to be safer for - anyone."
"What are you restricting? The sugar is off the charts for 1 pie, and too much egg. If you want a pumpkin pie and not a custard pie, you only need 1 egg, 1.5 cups pumpkin and only about 1/2 c sugar. I have been making an amish recipe pumpkin pie for years and it is the best I've tasted...but, I also make it with a goose-neck/long-neck pumpkin, not canned."
"The filling for this pie was awesome but the crust was terrible. It was very hard to work with, tough, and had little flavor. I did a little research and found other lighter versions for crust. I will definately make this again but with a different crust recipe."