Mom's Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. In another bowl, whisk water and remaining flour until smooth. Gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide pastry in half. Roll out each portion between two pieces of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- 2. Remove one sheet of plastic wrap from one pastry; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining
- 3. plastic wrap. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges. Repeat with remaining pastry.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the egg substitute, egg, sugars, salt and spices until blended. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into crusts. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
One serving (1 piece with 2 tablespoons whipped topping) equals 245 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.