Mom's Portable Beef
This delicious beef makes great sandwiches for a picnic, party or camping trip. The meat has a tempting from-scratch flavor that beats deli cold cuts. My family has savored these sandwiches for many years.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef eye round roast (3 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients; add roast. Cover
- and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove
- the roast and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, skim fat and strain cooking juices. Discard bay leaf.
- Thinly slice the beef. Serve on rolls with warmed juices and
- lettuce, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 298 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 524 mg sodium,