- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef eye round roast (3 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients; add roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the roast and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, skim fat and strain cooking juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice the beef. Serve on rolls with warmed juices and lettuce, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Portable Beef in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p33
Reviews for Mom's Portable Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2011
"Today is my second time making this recipe. Normally I would never have thought to use these seasonings with beef. Wow & Yummy!"