Mom's Portable Beef Recipe
This delicious beef makes great sandwiches for a picnic, party or camping trip. The meat has a tempting from-scratch flavor that beats deli cold cuts. My family has savored these sandwiches for many years.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef eye round roast (3 pounds)
- 12 to 14 sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce, tomato and onion, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 10 ingredients; add roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the roast and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, skim fat and strain cooking juices. Discard bay leaf. Thinly slice the beef. Serve on rolls with warmed juices and lettuce, tomato and onion if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Portable Beef in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Portable Beef(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 8, 2011
Today is my second time making this recipe. Normally I would never have thought to use these seasonings with beef. Wow & Yummy!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cold Sandwich Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >
- Roast Recipes >
- Sandwiches >