Zesty and fresh-tasting, these bright, beautiful beet slices add spark to any meal. My mouth still begins to water when I think of how wonderful they tasted when Mother prepared them. —Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (13-1/4 ounces each) sliced beets, undrained
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add beets. let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with green onions if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Pickled Beets in Taste of Home February/March 1997, p35
Reviews for Mom's Pickled Beets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review