Mom's Mostaccioli Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mostaccioli, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces sliced process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes; discard bay leaf. In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the mostaccioli, meat sauce and cheese; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 371 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 783 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.