This traditional dish has been a stand-by in my kitchen since the 1960's. My daughter and son have even added it to their own recipe collections. You can also sprinkle this casserole with shredded Parmesan cheese.—Gayle Clark, Neptune Beach, Florida
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces mostaccioli, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces sliced process cheese (Velveeta)
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes; discard bay leaf. In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer half of the mostaccioli, meat sauce and cheese; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Mostaccioli in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p238
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mom's Mostaccioli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review