- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until tops crack and edges are slightly firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Molasses Cookies
"These were so soft, chewy, and delicious! We made it for Christmas and they are definitely a keeper! :)"
"My husband was hungry for comfort food yesterday, these cookies were so delicious I am making another batch today, so good!"
"I would decrease the nutmeg to 1/2 a teaspoon, but otherwise this recipe is the best Molasses cookie recipe we've tried."
"Soft and Delicious!!!!!"
"These cookies were the best, in fact we ate nearly the whole batch that night. I think there are only 8 left. I did make them a little larger than the recipe called for tho."
"Absolutely delicious!! In my opinion, molasses cookies have to be soft, and these were perfect!! I'd definitely make these again"
"Best molasses cookies I've ever made. Yummy and chewy."
"This has been my all-time favorite molasses cookie recipe since it appeared in a 2004 issue of Taste of Home. In fact, it's probably in my top 3 cookies of any kind!!"
"These cookies were just too hard once they cooled completely...I expected them to be soft, so I probably won't make these again."
"Delicious!! So soft and chewy! Everyone loved them"