- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until tops crack and edges are slightly firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Mom's Molasses Cookies
"These were so soft, chewy, and delicious! We made it for Christmas and they are definitely a keeper! :)"
"My husband was hungry for comfort food yesterday, these cookies were so delicious I am making another batch today, so good!"
"I would decrease the nutmeg to 1/2 a teaspoon, but otherwise this recipe is the best Molasses Cookie recipe we've tried."
"Soft and Delicious!!!!!"
"These cookies were the best, in fact we ate nearly the whole batch that night. I think there are only 8 left. I did make them a little larger than the recipe called for tho."