Mom's Molasses Cookies
The kitchen smells so good when Mom is baking these yummy cookies, which we like to make with sorghum. They're chewy and tender, with a sugary coating. It's hard to eat just one!
60 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in the egg, molasses, milk and vanilla. Combine the
- flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to
- creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll into 1-1/4-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 in. apart
- on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until tops crack and edges are
- slightly firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 63 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium,