- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
"Very good flavor for a traditional meatloaf."
"I have made this for many years. It is my family's favorite. Love the sauce on top and having leftovers for sandwiches....though, I have to make 2 to have leftovers! I used Ritz crackers instead of the saltines this time and loved it just as much."
"I was never a meatloaf fan, but reluctantly agreed to make it for my husband after constant requests, I used this recipie and now I LOVE meatloaf. I make it all the time and no matter who is eating they all go back to seconds and there are no leftovers."
"This is delicious! We have made it several times and I doubt we will ever stop."
"Excellent! I made this exactly per the recipe and will be making again for sure. Served oven crispy potatoes."