- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
"This is a great recipe-I no longer use any other. I substitute panko for saltines and since my family doesn't love sage in beef I substitute granulated garlic."
"This is a test comment."
"Use ground chuck and a half pound of ground pork and also panko bread crumbs, no sugar or salt. Use some diced green pepper and onion for added background flavor. Maybe a couple of bacon strips on top. Best ever. And better meatloaf sandwiches the next day. (For Diabetes person)."
"botanner, then tweek the recipe to cut down the salt."
"Absolutely yummy, this is a keeper."
"I have made this many times. We love it. I cut the salt to 1/4 tsp or omit altogether. I use bread crumbs in place of crackers. I shape it to fit my crockpot, place it on aluminum foil with holes poked in it to release the fat, put it on a rack or a couple of jar covers side-by-side and cook it on low for 4-5 hours. Pour the sauce on the top of the loaf for the last 30-45 minutes. This is delicious!"
"This meatloaf is very good. I found after making it according to the directions that the next time it worked better for me to make half the sauce and to use only 1/2 a cup of milk. Tasty and different from most meatloaf recipes."
"The sauce I knew would be too sweet for our taste. I didn't use any of the brown sugar, and instead used less milk and a little ketchup in the meat mixture, and of course on top. I also used more spice, garlic powder, marjoram and a lot of pepper as is our preference. Almost carmelizing the onions is something I've always done, it adds a lot more flavor to the meatloaf. I've never measured the crackers, I just crumble until it looks right :-) This recipe, with my modifications, is how my mom made meatloaf, minus the onions."
"Good recipe, but the sauce was a bit too sweet and tasted more like a barbecue sauce. I would cut the amount of sugar by half next time. I baked mine in muffin tins at 350 for about 30 minutes."
"Delicious! This recipe is good I just changed two little thing. Instead of 1/2c sugar I do 1tbs and The sauce I pore everything on the meatloaf. Made it like this every time including the very first. Love taste of home recipes everything I made was delicious."