- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"This was awesome! Made it tonight for dinner and my family loved it. Will definitely make this again."
"I wouldn't have thought this would be so different but it was and it was wonderful. My hubby loved it too. And on a side note- why do some of you have to be so rude if you don't like a recipe? Can't you just say you didn't care for it without adding about it being awful and wasting your money?? Oh well- I loved it and am making it again today, thanks for sharing the recipe"
"Been making meatloaf this way for years, except I use 1 1b ground beef and 1/2 lb ground pork. I add a little minced celery and saute them with the onions and clove of garlic to soften them up as we don't like crunchy veggies in meatloaf. I also use crushed onion crackers vs saltines and add a pinch of dried mustard. Excellent meatloaf."
"I've been making this recipe for years.. Won't make any other meatloaf but this one. Plus it's so easy to put together. Everyone loves it just the way it is. Delicious"
"I use this same recipe except I exchanged the saltines with oatmeal, and instead of Worcestershire sauce I use mustard, I use ground turkey instead of beef. My family loves it. Thanks for sharing."