- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
"This is a great recipe-I no longer use any other. I substitute panko for saltines and since my family doesn't love sage in beef I substitute granulated garlic."
"This is a test comment."
"botanner, then tweek the recipe to cut down the salt."
"Absolutely yummy, this is a keeper."
"I have made this many times. We love it. I cut the salt to 1/4 tsp or omit altogether. I use bread crumbs in place of crackers. I shape it to fit my crockpot, place it on aluminum foil with holes poked in it to release the fat, put it on a rack or a couple of jar covers side-by-side and cook it on low for 4-5 hours. Pour the sauce on the top of the loaf for the last 30-45 minutes. This is delicious!"
"This meatloaf is very good. I found after making it according to the directions that the next time it worked better for me to make half the sauce and to use only 1/2 a cup of milk. Tasty and different from most meatloaf recipes."
"The sauce I knew would be too sweet for our taste. I didn't use any of the brown sugar, and instead used less milk and a little ketchup in the meat mixture, and of course on top. I also used more spice, garlic powder, marjoram and a lot of pepper as is our preference. Almost carmelizing the onions is something I've always done, it adds a lot more flavor to the meatloaf. I've never measured the crackers, I just crumble until it looks right :-) This recipe, with my modifications, is how my mom made meatloaf, minus the onions."
"Good recipe, but the sauce was a bit too sweet and tasted more like a barbecue sauce. I would cut the amount of sugar by half next time. I baked mine in muffin tins at 350 for about 30 minutes."
"Delicious! This recipe is good I just changed two little thing. Instead of 1/2c sugar I do 1tbs and The sauce I pore everything on the meatloaf. Made it like this every time including the very first. Love taste of home recipes everything I made was delicious."