- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"My family really liked this one and while I did too, I think I might tweak it a little. Maybe a little diced green pepper in it or a little more Worcestershire sauce. Definitely a keeper though!"
"Meatloaf is a family favorite and this is a good one. I usually mix a 1/2 pound of ground pork with 1 pound of ground beef in my meatloaf. Served with some mashed potatoes, this is comfort food at its best."
"I really enjoyed this recipe. It made a lot of food and tasted great. I served it with mashed potatoes and smothered with brown gravy on top (instead of the reserved sauce) and it was filling and delicious. Perfect for a chilly night. Thanks for the recipe!"
"I too have commented repeatedly about the rudeness of the reviewers on this site. I don't see this as much on other cooking sites. Sure hate to try and meet their standards. I appreciate suggestions & honest critiques.."