Mom's Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
I had prepared this meatloaf when it first was featured in Taste of Home! I did make the following adjustments: I used ITALIAN bread crumbs, 1 onion, chopped, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1 cup of Barbecue sauce at that time since I didn't have the ingredients to make regular BBQ sauce! I'd used a meatloaf pan to bake this meatloaf!
I would probably omit the brown sugar in this sauce if I choose to use prepared BBQ sauce and I'd probably omit the Worcestershire sauce since BBQ sauce has all the additions in it already! As I recall, this meatloaf was really good! Thank you for sharing it with Taste of Home! delowenstein
I did make some alterations to this recipe, first change was I used Almond milk (used Original, that is what I had on hand) because I have a son highly allergic to dairy milk, then the 2nd change is that I added about 1/4 cup of A1 sauce to the ketchup mixture to add a little more of a kick.
I absolutely love the way it turned out. If you need to substitute the milk because of allergies, this is a great recipe.
My husband and I have been together for 11 years and I have only made meatloaf once or twice. He loves meatloaf, but I hate it...until now. The recipe is simple to make and full of flavor. My husband requested that I make it once a week. I also cooked this recipe for a family get-together and everyone kept telling me how good it was! Next day leftovers are amazing too.
I love this recipe.... I accidentally added all ingredients together......topping and all. It was too moist but my family loved it. Next time I still put all ingredients together.....just cut back on the ketchup. The flavor were great together... Brown sugar, sage and ketchup. It is our family favorite. Out of mistakes comes something awesome.
Tasted just like my mother mae it. Good memory
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >