Mom's Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
My husband loves meatloaf, this is the first one I have made that his loves
I've made this meat loaf several time & never have any left over's.. If I don't have crackers I use oatmeal or break up bread & add a little garlic salt..I add ketchup in meat & top off with sugar & ketchup on top & bake. .very good ! *****
What is "rubbed sage?"
I had prepared this meatloaf when it first was featured in Taste of Home! I did make the following adjustments: I used ITALIAN bread crumbs, 1 onion, chopped, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1 cup of Barbecue sauce at that time since I didn't have the ingredients to make regular BBQ sauce! I'd used a meatloaf pan to bake this meatloaf!
I would probably omit the brown sugar in this sauce if I choose to use prepared BBQ sauce and I'd probably omit the Worcestershire sauce since BBQ sauce has all the additions in it already! As I recall, this meatloaf was really good! Thank you for sharing it with Taste of Home! delowenstein