- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I love this meatloaf. Been making similar one for years. Instead of Worcestershire in the topping, I use tabasco. We love the sweet hot taste. Especially good on those sandwiches made from the leftovers. Yum."
"A most excellent meatloaf. My husband claims it's the best he's ever had. I agree. I did substitute 1/2 lb. of mild Italian sausage for the 1/2 lb. of ground beef. I will never use another recipe for meatloaf again. Thanks."
"This recipe is the exact same recipe as the one published in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. My version of the cookbook is just over 30 years old."
"This was awesome! Made it tonight for dinner and my family loved it. Will definitely make this again."
"I wouldn't have thought this would be so different but it was and it was wonderful. My hubby loved it too. And on a side note- why do some of you have to be so rude if you don't like a recipe? Can't you just say you didn't care for it without adding about it being awful and wasting your money?? Oh well- I loved it and am making it again today, thanks for sharing the recipe"