Mom's Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
This was a pretty good meatloaf. I usually don't like putting raw onion in meatloaf (want to saute it) but this came out really well. Will definitely make it again.
My husband loves meatloaf, this is the first one I have made that his loves
I've made this meat loaf several time & never have any left over's.. If I don't have crackers I use oatmeal or break up bread & add a little garlic salt..I add ketchup in meat & top off with sugar & ketchup on top & bake. .very good ! *****
What is "rubbed sage?"