- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
"Excellent! I made this exactly per the recipe and will be making again for sure. Served oven crispy potatoes."
"Made this for the first last week and have cooked it four times by special requests from family...they all LOVE it...i use 2 pounds of ground beef and increased other ingredients accordingly. Since my family does not like catsup I use Sweet Baby Ray original sauce..this meatloaf is gourmet. I also substitute Saltines in favor of Club or Ritz Crackers. Instead of bulb onion I used about 6 green onions including the green parts. This meatloaf has lots of flavor!"
"Love it! I've tried several different meatloaf recipes (my husband loves meatloaf) and this is the one my husband thinks is the absolute best. I've never been much of a meatloaf fan and even I truly enjoy it. The only change I made was to reduce everything by a third since there are only two of us, and we still have leftovers for the next day's lunch (at least he does)."
"My husband loves my meatloaf. But I'm always on the lookout for new recipes and ways to make it. Mine rarely turns out the same two times in a row. But he always loves it.Seeing that this had 5 stars, I decided to try it. I made it exactly as the recipe was written. Yes, it was moist, but it was the most bland, tasteless meatloaf I have ever made. Totally a waste of good ground beef. Sorry, but I won't be making this recipe ever again!"
"This is my favorite meat loaf recipe!"