Mom's Meat Loaf Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, saltines, onion, salt, sage and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an 8-in. x 4-in. oval in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; spread 3/4 cup over meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
I did make some alterations to this recipe, first change was I used Almond milk (used Original, that is what I had on hand) because I have a son highly allergic to dairy milk, then the 2nd change is that I added about 1/4 cup of A1 sauce to the ketchup mixture to add a little more of a kick.
I absolutely love the way it turned out. If you need to substitute the milk because of allergies, this is a great recipe.
My husband and I have been together for 11 years and I have only made meatloaf once or twice. He loves meatloaf, but I hate it...until now. The recipe is simple to make and full of flavor. My husband requested that I make it once a week. I also cooked this recipe for a family get-together and everyone kept telling me how good it was! Next day leftovers are amazing too.
I love this recipe.... I accidentally added all ingredients together......topping and all. It was too moist but my family loved it. Next time I still put all ingredients together.....just cut back on the ketchup. The flavor were great together... Brown sugar, sage and ketchup. It is our family favorite. Out of mistakes comes something awesome.
Tasted just like my mother mae it. Good memory
I just made this today and it came out perfect! I will never need to try another meatloaf recipe. My husband loved it! This is my first review...I joined just to tell you how good this meatloaf and sauce was. Thanks for sharing it.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Meat Loaf Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >