Mom's Meat Loaf
Mom made this scrumptious main dish frequently when I was growing up. When I first met my husband, he wasn't fond of meat loaf. This is the first meal I prepared for him, and now he requests it often.
Michelle Beran, Claflin, Kansas
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, saltines, onion, salt, sage and
- pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into an 8-in.
- x 4-in. oval in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; spread 3/4 cup over meat loaf.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until no longer pink and a
- meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand 10 minutes before
- slicing. Serve with remaining sauce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 268 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.