Mom's Meat Loaf
Mom made this scrumptious main dish frequently when I was growing up. When I first met my husband, he wasn't fond of meat loaf. This is the first meal I prepared for him, and now he requests it often.
Michelle Beran, Claflin, Kansas
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven
- ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an
- 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining ingredients; remove 1/2 cup for sauce.
- Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10
- minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot