- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2/3 cup finely crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Dash pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into an 8x4-in. loaf in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar; remove 1/2 cup for sauce. Spread remaining mixture over meat loaf.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mom's Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"I have been making a recipe almost exactly like this for 40 years. The only difference is that I use quick rolled oats instead of saltine crackers and omit the sage, although I will try sage next time just to see if the family likes that spice in the meatloaf. Thanks for sharing. Our mothers before us knew what satisfied at the dinner table, that's why recipes like this are still around, albeit with slight differences."
"This is my family's favorite meatloaf recipe. I have been making it for over 15 years. If I try a different recipe, they know it. I believe the sauce is what makes it so good."
"Donalee2. First of all you don't type in all caps as you are shouting. Secondly and most importantly, why on earth are you reviewing a recipe you haven't even tried. Seriously?"
"This is a good meatloaf recipe. I agree with the others, I wish reviewers would not bombard us with their negative comments. Not all recipies are to everyone's liking, but please be considerate of the submitter and professional about your review"