Mom's Maple-Apple Pie Recipe
Mom's apple pie might be a cliché, but others have tried and failed to rival my mom's recipe. My siblings and I panic when anyone else takes the holiday apple pie assignment, but we make sure Mom is making hers, too. —Rebecca Little, Park Ridge, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- Warm maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- 2. Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Add filling. Dot with butter; drizzle with 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Brush pastry with 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover pie loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with warm maple syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 438 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 295 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC