Mom's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
Excellent easy to make. Husband likes it! I used whole wheat pasta instead.
Terrific! Classic comfort food. Not pretentious. At least double the amount of buttered bread crumbs (1 leftover hot dog bun pulsed in the food processor does the trick) and choose a deep cooking vessel for all the cheesy, noodly goodness. I use a small enameled dutch oven (double purposed for the cooking of the cheese sauce). When used as a main dish with sausage or meatballs on the side, 1 batch serves my growing family of 4 and leaves a bit leftover for lunch.
I really liked this recipe. I've been looking for a good one also, and this one fits the bill.
I've been looking for a good mac n cheese recipe for a long time. I'm so glad to have found this one. It's a keeper! I sprinkled more cheese on the top (can one have too much cheese?) and used Panko crumbs. I could eat this once a week!!
We LOVE this and generally cut it in half which is more than enough for three people. I cook the sauce in the microwave rather than on the stove top.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >