- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
"My family and I love this recipe, however I tweaked it a bit. I use 4 oz of vellveeta and I use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. I also brush the butter on top of the crackers! It is absolutely delicious and super cheesy!"
"Very creamy mac and cheese. Just like mom used to make!"
"So cheesy and delicious! Love the bread crumbs on top too. A very nice touch. I made this for a middle school thanksgiving lunch side dish, and there was not one single bite left. My family requests it often."
"For some reason I have a hard time with macaroni and cheese, the flavor and consistency is never what I want until I made this recipe. It comes out great every time and the flavor and the thick creamy texture and just what I've been looking for. I go a little heavier on the cheddar cheese."
"Easy to make and really good!"