Mom's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese(15)
Sort By :
This is a great recipe and my family enjoyed it! I did make a small change based on others ' comments. I added 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 extra cup of cheddar cheese. (I used a mixture of shredded Wisconsin cheddar cheese sold in my local grocery store.)
This is my "go to" mac 'n cheese recipe. The only changes I make are- in place of the Velveeta, I use regular american cheese (about 4-5 slices) and I also double the topping. Very creamy and tasty!
This was a very quick & easy way to make homemade mac n cheese. My boys don't normally like homemade mac n cheese but couldn't get enough of this one. The sauce stayed creamy which a lot of times they don't. Have added it to my recipe collection!
This is the best Mac and Cheese recipe I have ever ate. I used Italian bread crumbs and added cubes of skinless boneless chicken that I had boiled in Chicken broth. YUM! YUM!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >