Mom's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
I really liked this recipe. I've been looking for a good one also, and this one fits the bill.
I've been looking for a good mac n cheese recipe for a long time. I'm so glad to have found this one. It's a keeper! I sprinkled more cheese on the top (can one have too much cheese?) and used Panko crumbs. I could eat this once a week!!
We LOVE this and generally cut it in half which is more than enough for three people. I cook the sauce in the microwave rather than on the stove top.
Great recipe, I add dry mustard to it for a little extra flavor
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >