Mom's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
"Delicious and easy to make. I forgot to add the bread crumbs, but my family didn't realize it and I didn't tell them:)"
"I upped the Velveeta to 4 oz and the cheddar cheese to over a cup. I also added 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp mustard powder and increased the bread crumbs because I love mac & cheese with a lot of toasted bread crumbs. It turned out sooooo yummy. The whole family loved it! I will make again (so I can use up more of the Velveeta I bought for some odd reason)."
"what I liked about it was the ease of making it. and it was a hit with my husband."
"This has been one of my favorite mac and cheese recipes, and there are times I just crave it! The one thing my family likes is to brown a pound of sausage and add to this before baking. A great side dish is some applesauce. :-)"
"Excellent easy to make. Husband likes it! I used whole wheat pasta instead."