Mom's Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Mom's Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
This has been one of my favorite mac and cheese recipes, and there are times I just crave it! The one thing my family likes is to brown a pound of sausage and add to this before baking. A great side dish is some applesauce. :-)
Excellent easy to make. Husband likes it! I used whole wheat pasta instead.
Terrific! Classic comfort food. Not pretentious. At least double the amount of buttered bread crumbs (1 leftover hot dog bun pulsed in the food processor does the trick) and choose a deep cooking vessel for all the cheesy, noodly goodness. I use a small enameled dutch oven (double purposed for the cooking of the cheese sauce). When used as a main dish with sausage or meatballs on the side, 1 batch serves my growing family of 4 and leaves a bit leftover for lunch.
I really liked this recipe. I've been looking for a good one also, and this one fits the bill.
I've been looking for a good mac n cheese recipe for a long time. I'm so glad to have found this one. It's a keeper! I sprinkled more cheese on the top (can one have too much cheese?) and used Panko crumbs. I could eat this once a week!!