Mom's Lemon Custard Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon and mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and peel; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake 1 hour or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Lemon Custard Pie(26)
Sort By :
Watch the cooking time. My pie was burnt on top after being in the oven for 50 minutes.
Ooh this was delish. I want to make this again. This recipe should not be confused with lemon meringue or lemon sponge pie - two different things. I used one half of a lemon and it was just enuf. I suppose you could use lemon juice??
There are not enough stars to indicate how good this pie is. And yes; one tablespoon of butter is enough!! This is what pie should taste like. Thank you for the recipe. Highly, highly recommended!
Very very good