- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon and mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and peel; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake 1 hour or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Lemon Custard Pie
"Made this pie for my mom' birthday. She loved it. It was very refreshing. Only thing I changed is instead of lemon zest, I used 1/2 tsp of lemon extract. Delicious!"
"My husband enjoyed this tasty pie. It has plenty of lemon flavor."
"Fantastic pie !! I have been making 2 every Friday night for the restaurant and they are sold out by 6:30pm. Thanks for sharing"
"Made this pie a few times, everybody loves it,nice change from plain custard."
"this is the absolute pie I have ever made!!! Made for a dinner party and all enjoyed. I am making it again today but only baking for50 miutes!!! Thank you"
"My mother used to make something like this, but she put it in custard cups. Will that work with this recipe? Will it have to be baked in a water bath if it's in custard cups? That would work better for me than a pie, but it sounds wonderful either way."
"I'm not a huge lemon person, but this was delicious! The curd bottom layer and spongy top layer appears to be how they recipe is intended to turn out, which I thought was fascinating. Food science! I followed the recipe exactly and though the top was quite brown after an hour in the oven, it lightened up in the fridge overnight. Still yummy! Will probably lessen the baking time next time just to achieve a more lemony appearance."
"not sure if I would say a custard tart, but more lemon self saucing pudding pie! a lemon curd type at the bottom half, and almost like a souffl? on the top half! But for all I know I could of done something wrong haha. But that didn't matter anyway, because it tasted AMAZING!! perfect sweet to lemon balance. definitely recommend and definitely will make again!"
"Perfect in every way!. The best Lemon Custard and so easy to make."
"Thank you for sharing this. The recipe is easy to put together and a nice balance of sweet and tart. It was a refreshing end to a heavier luncheon menu. I served it with dollop of whipped cream and fresh blueberries. Will make again (for events or large dinners only so it is not calling my husband and me from the fridge)."