- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- Whipped cream, lemon and mint, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk, flour and salt; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and peel; set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into pie shell. Bake 1 hour or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Garnish with whipped cream, lemon and mint if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mom's Lemon Custard Pie
"Fantastic pie !! I have been making 2 every Friday night for the restaurant and they are sold out by 6:30pm. Thanks for sharing"
"Made this pie a few times, everybody loves it,nice change from plain custard."
"this is the absolute pie I have ever made!!! Made for a dinner party and all enjoyed. I am making it again today but only baking for50 miutes!!! Thank you"
"My mother used to make something like this, but she put it in custard cups. Will that work with this recipe? Will it have to be baked in a water bath if it's in custard cups? That would work better for me than a pie, but it sounds wonderful either way."
"I'm not a huge lemon person, but this was delicious! The curd bottom layer and spongy top layer appears to be how they recipe is intended to turn out, which I thought was fascinating. Food science! I followed the recipe exactly and though the top was quite brown after an hour in the oven, it lightened up in the fridge overnight. Still yummy! Will probably lessen the baking time next time just to achieve a more lemony appearance."