Mom's Lasagna Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 carton (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer a third of the noodles and meat sauce, half of the cottage cheese, a third of the mozzarella and a third of the Parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 335 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Lasagna
"I'm a volunteer Field Editor. This is my go-to lasagna recipe. It bakes up really well and the sauce is great. It cuts well and isn't all soupy like I find some recipes to be. The slices hold their shape."
"It's been a while since I've made this recipe but I LOVE it and am going to give it a whirl... again....finally... next week. I'll never try another lasagna recipe!! Thanks Gina!"
"This is very good, but I add a cup of canned diced Italian seasoned tomatoes instead of salsa and omit the chili powder."
"Love this for a homemade sauce. Sometimes I make lasagna but often use it for other things. It is a family favorite!"
"Very good, but I omitted the salsa."
"Did not care for this recipe. Family asked me not to make it again."
"I love this lasagna. I make it all the time for family dinners and everyone raves about it. The only thing I do different is I cook the sauce in the slowcooker on high for 3 hours. I like to be able to leave the house while it's cooking."
"This recipe was okay. It tasted like a chili lasagna."
"This recipe was ok. It tasted like a chili lasagna."
"This was great. It will be my go-to lasagna recipe."
"This was so amazing. I added chopped peppers (green, yellow and orange). Soooo filling. My husband loved it."
"This is by far the best lasagna recipe I have ever made. I have been making it ever since it first came out in Taste of Home. The only change I made was I use ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. I have taken it to Potlucks, used it at family gatherings and it always gets the same results lots of compliments and always a empty dish!!! Thanks for this great recipe."
"OH MY GOODNESS!! This is the best lasagna I've ever tasted! I changed it a little since my family likes it very meaty. I doubled the groud beef and Italian sausage. The recipe didn't specify, but I used the sweet variety of sausage. I also used 3 teaspons of oregano and 3 of basil. I substituted 16 ounces of Monteray Jack cheese for the cottage cheese. Since the extra meat made it start off with less liquid, I simmered it like the recipe said for 2 hours then covered it and simmered it another 2 hours. I though chili powder and salsa were strange ingredients, but as well as it turned out, I can't argue about them. I'll DEFINITELY be making this again."
"Best lasagna I have ever made!"
"I love this recipe. I substitute ricotta for half of the cottage cheese, however."
"I love this recipe, and have made it many times. Everyone says it's the best lasagna they have ever eaten. It's good and saucy, just the way I like it."
"My family enjoys this dish often. I cook the sauce about an hour though instead of 3. It is absolutely delicious!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.