Mom's Lard Pie Crust
Mom always knew the best pie crusts are made with lard. The results of this recipe is one of the flakiest crusts I have ever had. It is so easy too!—Virginia Jung, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in lard until mixture
- resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in water, a tablespoon at a time,
- until pastry holds together. Shape into a ball; chill for 30
- minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in.
- thickness. Transfer to a 10-in. pie plate. Flute edges; fill and
- bake as pie recipe directs. Yield: 1-10-inch crust.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 201 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.