Mom's Italian Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a loaf. Place each loaf seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across top of each loaf.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews for Mom's Italian Bread(31)
Sort By :
This is a fantastic recipe. I don't like to knead dough, so I use a breadmaker to make dough and then resume the directions when I form the loaves. It turns out great, except I do have to paint the loaves so that they brown in the oven.
I have had such trouble with bread recipes and finding one that was just right. I am done searching. This is the best bread I've ever made and it was so simple. My husband agreed that it was the best I've made to date. It wasn't too dense or too airy. It stayed soft. It had a nice crust. It tasted absolutely incredible and my house smelled amazing!
easy to make, texture is substantial, but flavor is lacking
worked out great (adding the sugar to the yeast & water first)...great with garlic butter!
I haven't tried the recipe yet, but I do know that yeast requires sugar, so I will try it today by putting the sugar in the water with the yeast...we'll see what happens
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easy Recipes >
- Italian Bread Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >