Mom's Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
My mom made the best Italian beef. I’ve added to it over the years, but it’s still her recipe. She made this for family reunions, and there were never leftovers. Now I make it for myself and freeze it in single-serving sizes. It makes a quick and easy meal as a sandwich or served over noodles.—Mary Mcvey, Colfax, North Carolina
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced provolone cheese, optional
- Giardiniera, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a large bowl. Shred beef with two forks; add to bowl. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired.
Freeze option: Cool meat and juices; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without cheese and giardiniera) equals 450 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 969 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC