Mom's Italian Beef Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 boneless beef rump roast or bottom round roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), halved
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 envelopes Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 envelope (0.87 ounce) brown gravy mix
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 16 hoagie buns, split
- Sliced provolone cheese, optional
- Giardiniera, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown each roast in oil on all sides. Drain. Transfer meat to a 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, onion, garlic, salad dressing and gravy mixes, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove beef; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Pour juices into a large bowl. Shred beef with two forks; add to bowl. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup on each bun. Top with cheese and giardiniera if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 sandwich (calculated without cheese and giardiniera) equals 450 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 969 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.