Flavored with Italian sausage and dotted with tender meatballs, the savory from-scratch sauce made this dish one of my mom's most-requested. We five kids were always thrilled to hear it was on the menu. -Grace Yaskovic, Branchville, New Jersey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. add beef and mix well. Shape into eight meatballs. Brown in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain and set meatballs aside.
- In the same pan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs; stir gently. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Hearty Spaghetti in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p35
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mom's Hearty Spaghetti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review