- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. add beef and mix well. Shape into eight meatballs. Brown in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain and set meatballs aside.
- In the same pan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs; stir gently. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mom's Hearty Spaghetti
Sort By :
"My family loves it. As a matter of fact when I made it and I had the exhaust fan on, my neighbor was cutting his grass. He said he felt like he had to come over for some. I told him he should have, I had plenty."
"Been making this for years. Sometimes I add more seasonings. Great!"
"I have been making this sauce since I found it printed in my Taste of Home mag. It has excellent flavor and comes out great every time I make it!"
"This is my family's favorite spaghetti. I have made it several times and will continue to do so."
"This is wonderful! the meatballs just melt in you mouth....wasn't crazy about the italian sausage (not my favorite) but i would make more meatballs with the sauce instead... great recipe!!!!"