MY MOTHER-IN-LAW always served green rice with her chicken casserole. She was a great cook, and the local newspaper featured her several times as "cook of the week". This creation of hers is one of our family's favorites. I'm thrilled to share it with Reminisce readers. -Nancy Beatty, Springfield, Illinois
Recommended: 20 Favorite Thanksgiving Sides
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. stir in the broth, rice, green pepper, parsley and pepper; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Top with cheese if desired; bake 3 minutes longer or until melted. Yield: 2-3 servings.
Originally published as Green Rice in Reminisce January/February 1998, p45
Reviews for Mom's Green Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 29, 2010
"Eight years ago I made this recipe when I was a newly-wed. We've moved so many times that I lost the Taste of Home magazine that I got it out of. I just found the website, did a search, and I am so pleased with the results (FOUND IT!)I don't care for rice and it's difficult to get your greens into a meal, but this is really tasty. I would recommend it to everyone, but you know what your tastes are : )"