Mom's Garlic Pork Roast
Mom cooked for 11 children, so her menus usually featured basic, simple foods. But on New Year's Day, she always treated us to this special pork roast. All of us kids agree this was our mom's best meal!
— Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour 30 min. + standing
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. With a sharp knife, cut a deep pocket
- between each rib on meaty side of roast. In a small bowl, mix the
- green pepper, green onions, celery and garlic; stuff into pockets.
- Sprinkle salt and cayenne pepper over roast.
- Place roast in a shallow roasting pan, stuffing side up. Roast 1-1/2
- to 1-3/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for
- medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°).
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before
- carving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 298 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 399 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 40 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot