Mom's Fried Rice
Feel free to add cubed chicken or steak to make this side a main dish. Pea pods also add some color and crunch.
Carey Hunt, Portland, OR
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour egg into the
- pan. As egg sets, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow
- underneath. When egg is completely cooked, remove to a plate. Set
- In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a
- slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2
- tablespoons drippings. Saute mushrooms and onions in the drippings.
- Stir in the rice, bean sprouts, peas, soy sauce and bacon. Chop egg
- into small pieces; stir into the pan and heat through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 368 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 984 mg sodium,