Feel free to add cubed chicken or steak to make this side a main dish. Pea pods also add some color and crunch. Carey Hunt, Portland, OR
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour egg into the pan. As egg sets, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When egg is completely cooked, remove to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute mushrooms and onions in the drippings. Stir in the rice, bean sprouts, peas, soy sauce and bacon. Chop egg into small pieces; stir into the pan and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Fried Rice in Taste of Home April/May 2010, p69
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Mom's Fried Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review