Mom's Fried Fish Recipe
Our family has an annual fish fry that centers around my mom's recipe. I think she makes the finest fried fish around. It's flaky and flavorful with a golden cracker-crumb coating, and her homemade tartar sauce is a fitting complement.—Julie Jahnke, Green Lake, Wisconsin
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- Oil for frying
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1. Place eggs and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC