Mom's Fried Fish Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- Oil for frying
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Place eggs and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mom's Fried Fish
Sort By :
"I used whole wheat saltines and cod fish. Wow was this ever delicious fish. I have to admit next time I will add a tiny bit of salt to the crackers because I think it needs a touch of salt. But other than that, oh my delicious! So was the tarter sauce. Yummy!"
"I used whole wheat saltines and this recipe came out so good. The golden brown crust was beautiful and delicious. I like swai so that was the fish I used."
"I couldn't imagine making this without any seasoning, so I used some old bay and seasoned the egg mixture. Made excellent fish sandwiches."
"This is the first time I have ever made fish. My six year old loved it and he is a very picky eater. This is a great recipe"
"da61, whitefish is flavorful enough that it doesn't require much in the way of seasoning. I'd serve this with lemon wedges and some grindings of pepper. Strongly-flavored herbs and/or spices would totally obliterate the delicate flavor of the fish."