Mom's Fried Fish Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 45 crackers)
- 2 pounds whitefish fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- Oil for frying
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Place eggs and cracker crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets into eggs, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry fillets, a few at a time, for 2 minutes on each side or until fish is golden brown and flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the tartar sauce ingredients. Serve with fish. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mom's Fried Fish(5)
Sort By :
I couldn't imagine making this without any seasoning, so I used some old bay and seasoned the egg mixture. Made excellent fish sandwiches.
This is the first time I have ever made fish. My six year old loved it and he is a very picky eater. This is a great recipe
da61, whitefish is flavorful enough that it doesn't require much in the way of seasoning. I'd serve this with lemon wedges and some grindings of pepper. Strongly-flavored herbs and/or spices would totally obliterate the delicate flavor of the fish.
Where's the seasoning in the fish. I can't imagine it having any flavor.
Simple to make and surprisingly tasty ! Jan 2008